Ladies and gents, boys and girls, it is that time. It seems like just yesterday I was getting to the airport here in Belgium for the first time, and now it is six months later and on Monday I am off at sunrise.
I may not get a chance to post in the frantic next few days, but this is how I am feeling, what I have done lately, and what I will be doing the next few days before leaving Belgium.
At the moment, I feel a mix of many emotions... sad, excited, confused, curious and much more. Sad to be leaving the wonderful people of The Cats and a country that has continued to grow on me since my arrival. Excited to see family and friends and of course for my brother's wedding. Excited too for the Australian adventure that lies ahead. Confused in many ways. A lot of times when I am asked a question, my response is an unintentional combi of English and Dutch with the occasional Spanish mixed in. Instead of saying yes I often say ya, even when asked in English. My horrid spelling has gotten worse... linguistically I feel like a mess. I don't see that improving in the near future. I am curious for what the future hold, how my new teammates will be, and the list goes on.
I have spent my last few days as I typically have for much of my time in Belgium. A lot of time during the day alone and with teammates/housemates at night. I have gone to hit the last 12 days in a row. I taught the Merchtem police how to play baseball. I mowed the grass at the field. I spent one last night out in Leuven. I have biked and ran all over Opwijk and Merchtem and Aalst and Londerzeel and everywhere in between. I led practice for the minimen team, which went awesome for the last time. I ate delicious meals at the Cassiman residence. I built part of a brick wall. Took the train. Shared a gaze with farm animals as I passed by on bike. Almost got hit by a car several times on the bike. Typical stuff.
The next few days will pass wuick, I know. Tomorrow was a planned trip to Bastogne but due to how difficult it is to reach, I have since had to cancel the trip. Instead I will spend tomorrow packing things up and getting ready to go. Friday I am off to West Flanders for some WWI history and sightseeing with Bram's mother, Mieke before returning for a last meal at the Wambacq residence.
Saturday morning will be spent setting up for the Spaghettis Zweer, the annual Cats fundraiser spaghetti feed. After setting up, I have a front row seat to the laser show that will be the Cats offense against Gent in the final and deciding game of the season. Then I will cash in my won bet for the batting title, sorry Kleine but you never had a chance. Then back to the zweer for a celebration/drunken debauchery/feast. Sunday is again the 2nd day of the zweer and then hopefully one last drink with the fellas before taking off the next morning Cali bound at 7am.
I then have less than 24 hours to get from SF to Sac-Town, where I will spend the whole next day flying (again) up to Alaska.
Then next two weeks promise to be great and I will try to keep everyone posted on what is going on. Stay tunned! Hope everyone is doing well, much peace and love.
Tot Straks
Recent News
Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hahaha, linquistically i feel like a mess
ReplyDelete