Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Last Hours in Belgium

As I sit here, 4 hours before I leave for the airport and yet to pack, I am trying to reflect back on my time here. A lot of things come to mind, but mainly all I can do is think about how great the people here have been. Absolutely amazing. Although some might say I am a bit rushed at the moment, I just wanted to take this time to thank The Cats for this wonderful opportunity and everyone for making me feel right at home. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!


The other day we won our decisive game against Gent to secure the team's spot in 1st position for next year. After that it was the Spaghetti Zwier, which was also a blast. Great people, great times. I will elaborate more on my final days later but I before I left I wanted to attach an article I wrote about my time here in Belgium for the annual Cats Spaghetti Zwier magazine. I have to pack so without any more rambling... here it is. Off to pack.

ARTICLE FROM CRAZY AMERICAN NUMBER 1

Man, man, man... Where do I even begin? First, let me just come out and state the obvious. What can be said about my time here in Belgium that hasn't already been said about this country's finest beers...

Amazing, world class, dank je wel... nog eenje, second to none, it is always better with the right (protective) cup, and the list of positive adjectives goes on.

For me, my experience coming over to play for The Cats has literally been second to none. From the day I stepped off the plane ( and walked right past Ruud, who was expecting a bigger guy-- I guess now would be a good time to apologize for not being bigger and hitting home runs as all Americans are supposed to do), I have been welcomed into the club like I was family. Since day one, people have bent over backwards to make me feel comfortable and welcome, and for that I will forever be grateful. Sometimes I wonder what I have done to deserve to be among such a great group of people. This leads me to a little self-analysis…

Ok, so so far I am a short, weak American who can't hit home runs (like all Americans do). Strike 1. As if that isn't bad enough, a month into my stay here and I am also bringing my girlfriend over. Talk about a way to ruin the fun, right? Strike 2. Then the crates of beer keep coming and I can't drink as much as the last Americans, and am drunk after 4 pintjes. Strike 3. At this point, I really should be struck out and sent back to the States. Luckily for me, umpires in Belgium can't count strikes (or do much else right) so somehow I am allowed to stay on this amazing adventure. Yes, Belgium has been good to me. While other Americans had their time in this lovely country cut short by tooth aches, kidnappers in London, and torn muscles, I somehow avoided these tragic fates. And so for this lucky American, the adventure continued…

On this adventure, I have met so many great people, lived in four awesome homes, and Rachel and I were helped and supported by so many generous people that I could take up this whole magazine thanking you all. Instead I just want to offer one big thank you to the entire Cats Club for your part in making this the best summer of my life. You have all been so amazing, I just wish I could somehow return the generosity and hospitality that has been shown to me and Rachel the last 6 months (man, time flies).

Like the thank yous owed, the good times are also too numerous to speak about all of them. Instead, I will do what I often do on my blog... pick out a top list, so here it goes.

Thank you Belgium for... 5. Showing me I'm not the worst dancer in the world ( I guess that is a thank you to just Bart); 4. Letting me urinate anywhere I please and in front of anyone I want; 3. Your delicious food/my new love handles; 2. Having at least one game where it didn't rain; 1. Forever ruining the taste of American beer for me.

Top 5 highlights: All of our wins, ok that was easy. Ok, maybe a bit too soon. The only reason I say this jokingly is because in a few years when The Cats are atop the standings, people will be able to laugh about the trials and tribulations of seasons past. I may not be here then, so I am laughing now.

The serious Top 5 highlights:
5. Hanging out after practices and enjoying the social aspects of the club ( I have always said that the best part of baseball is the relationships and lifelong friends that I have made through playing and The Cats only strengthened this notion); 4. Trips to Leuven;
3. Travelling all over Belgium and Europe; 2. All the parties... Kermis week, Gala Ball, Vlinderball, etc.; 1. The relationships I have formed (with people especially, but also with the bullet special, about 100 new kinds of beer, different cities, the Belgian countryside, dinosaur cookies, chocolate, The 7 Oaks, and the list goes on…)

I could go on for pages, but the bottom line is that I will FOREVER BE GRATEFUL to this club and group of people for this opportunity and for all that you have done to make me feel like part of the Cats Family. Until next time, the warmest of thank yous to everyone. Thanks for everything and keep in touch.

Peace and love from the only American left standing.

Ethan Guevin

No comments:

Post a Comment