Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last Regular Season Games

This weekend was our last regular season games of the second part of the season. Yesterday we dropped a close one, 3-1 with me on the bump. They scratched a few runs across early before I settled into a rhythm not giving up any runs after the 3rd inning. I couldn't find the floating zone and walks proved to be the killer. Despite hitting ball hard, we failed to get the clutch hit we needed and ended up leaving a lot of runners on base. On the positive side of things, our defense didn't make any errors and it was the first game in a while where people were obviously enjoying being out there and playing the game.

Today Bram took the hill and I played my first game at shortstop in ages. Bram threw really well but a few untimely errors put the comeback out of reach and we lost 8-4. Again there were a lot of positives, and we are playing much better baseball heading into our last 2 and most important games of the year. Next week we play in the best 2 out of 3 play down series against the 2nd place 2nd division team from Gent. There is a lot on the line as the winner of the series earns the final spot in 1st division for next year.

On a personal level, since we have had the funky second half of the season schedule where every two weeks we have an off week, I have yet to have any consistency at the plate.

Next week is go big or go home... actually I am going home either way, but I am looking forward to getting some hits and us getting some wins to end the season on a positive note.


Lastly, a question to consider: If baseball was played with 89 feet between the bases, how would the game be different?

No comments:

Post a Comment