Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Granada to Alicante

As always seems to be the case, the places you go for the least amount of time turn out to be the ones that you wish you had more time in. Like Salamanca, Granada fits on this list. With limited time, we had decided that we wanted to go to Sevilla for the most time and then either pass through Cordoba or Granada for a day. We settled on Granada and were not disappointed.

We woke up early the next morning and Aaron and Anj decided they wanted to brave the lines for a chance to get tickets into La Alhambra. They ended up getting in and while they explored the palace, Rachel, Bart, and I walked around Granada and made our way up to La Alhambra to meet them. Granada was a beautiful city with the snow covered Sierra Nevada Mountains overlooking the city from the back drop. The city also seemed to make a conscious effort to have a lot of art and desirable public spaces. It also gave off the good vibe that I got in Lisbon and Salamanca.

We met with Aaron and Anj and actually ended up getting to sneak into La Alhambra for a little bit. It seemed really nice and well worth it for them to have gotten up early and wait for tickets. Unfortunately, we were only there for the day and I would not have another opportunity to do that myself. We stopped at a place to eat sandwiches and smoothies and were making our way back to the car when a rare thing happened.

As we walked, we passed a girl that must have been Rachel's long lost twin. I was looking at this girl thinking that and I am pretty sure that she was looking at Rachel and thinking the same thing. After a few steps and thoughts, I asked if anyone saw her and Aaron said the same thing. We were now talking about it for half a block when my slow thinking mind thought of the idea to go back and get a picture. We turned around and booked it to try the find the girl but she was gone. Damn. It would have been one hell of a picture and I am pissed that once again my slow mind failed to think of it in time. I guess the twin photo will just have to wait til next time their paths cross.

We left Granada, La Zino now with a nice scratch to go along with the broken window. Finally we had found a narrow street that Bart could not conquer (we tried to use the scratch remover paste that you always see in infomercials but it didn't work). The drive east through the Sierra Nevadas was beautiful. It always makes coming into and going out of places better when there is something to look at, but this part of Spain seemed to take this to a new level.

We made our way across the country, again winding up in Alicante just as it was starting to get dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment