Saturday started what promised to be an epic 6 weeks. It is easy to throw the word epic around and take away from the value of using such a word, but I genuinely mean this... the next 6 weeks have epic potential. I will throw out a few happenings just so we are on the same page from the start. Jack Johnson conert, U2/Jay-Z concert, baseball games, Christmas in Bali, New Years in Thailand, first week and a half of 2011... more Thailand and a bit of Malaysia, finish with a touch of Singapore before returning to my second girlfriend, baseball. Sound delicious? We are off to a good start...
After a solid days work at the bakery, I went to the field to hit and throw before swinging back to the house to pick up Rach en route to the Jack Johnson concert. We got there early and were rewarded by some good opening acts. Then JJ hit the stage and absolutely rocked it. Pretty much 2 hours and 20 minutes of musical heaven as the chill beats made their way through my ears and into my soul. The bloke was awesome, played for forever, donates all his tour proceeds to charity, and with his band puts on a killer show. Oh, did I mention that from where we were standing (about 10 rows deep), I could throw a baseball at him and 1. actually hit him and 2. it would still be traveling fast enough to cause him pain. I say this not because it is something I would want to do, rather to illustrate without just coming right out and saying that we were about 60 feet away. Would pay to go see his show again in a heartbeat. Epic start to the 6 weeks... check.
Day 2 of the 6 week plan was not so shabby either. After sleeping in a bit, it was game time at the Bear Cage against Kelmscott. A little refresher... they were the first team I played when I got out here, we beat them 35-3. This time around, the result was slightly more competitive, as we won 25-0. The game featured some exciting moments. Drumroooooooooll..... and you may not believe this.... continue drumroll, but I hit my first home run in probably 6 years. I know, I can't believe I hadn't hit one in that long either but the oppo poppo was in order and I sent a 3-1 solo shot over the right center fence.
The more "sexy" play of the game was a near webgem. A ground ball to my backhand side up the middle, that I glove flipped to Lee who came across and gunned it to first. The guy was safe by a step, but I will guarantee that by the end of the year this play gets completed for an out. In fact, I won't leave Oz until it does.
For some reason, the peanut gallery that is the PL2s and 3s decided that it was my first ever home run... come on guys, does my swing struggle that bad? Being my first home run ever, after fines session, I was treated to a continuous flow of Doug-o's... the worst drink ever if you are having more than one. After about 6, my gut was rotting, things were getting out of control, and it was time to head home. After a pit stop at the Stephenson house around the corner, it was back home for a dinner of pickled onions straight out of the jar. Yum. Day 2... success.
Day 3 brought more 'nanigans... for the second week in a row, Rach and I headed to the Free residence in Ballajura for some good eats. And man was it goooood eats. Great food, great company, and the beginning of a weekly dinner ritual? I can only hope so. Another awesome day in the books with good food and company. I also rescued, for the second time, about 10 sandos and 30 lbs of bread from the rubbish bin... Doing my part to spread the love... handles.
I hope day 4 continues the streak... with a day off work, things are looking up, down under.
Until next time, Cheers Mate!
Ps More pics and possibly video to come soon
Recent News
Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment