Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Things are Heating up in Perth

Dear Faithful Readers,

It has been a while since a proper update, and for that I am sorry. Things on my end have been a little more hectic with the lack of internet at our apartment and a busier schedule.

1. I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving. It is 80-100 degrees here on a daily basis and winter holidays are the last thing on my mind.

2. This last week, the Bears went to Rockingham to face our biggest challenge of the year in the Rams. Two teams putting their undefeated records on the line during the last game of the first round. The game lived up to its promise, with the game going down to the last out. Unfortunately, we were on the short end of a 5-4 ballgame. While 5-4 hardly seems like a pitching duel, in a game with two teams averaging more than 15 runs per game (in mainly 7 innings, due to mercy rule), it was ultimately a day for pitchers.

I was on the mound and threw arguably the best I have this year. Looking at my stat line wouldn't give you any indication of this, but in terms of hard hit balls and stuff, I was on my game. In the end, it was my inability to keep the ball in the yard that led to the loss. *** Those stars are the bells going off in your head, letting you know that something is not right. If this were the SAT reasoning section, you would be screwed. If they didn't hit the ball hard, how can one give up 3 (solo) home runs? The answer, my friends, is my new nemesis. His name is metal bat/small field combo. I would go into a spiel about metal bats right now, but am not sure if children are reading this or if the long list of curse words would be found online years from now and cost me a job ( A disease known as Boynonsky-phobia). Basically I feel like none of the home runs would have gone out with either or all of the following... a) a normal size field or b) woods bats. I am not trying to make excuses, it is just frustrating when you feel like you made a good pitch that should have been an our and it ends up being a home run. Regardless, I threw well and feel like 8 times out of 10, we would have won a game of that nature. Unfortunately we didn't, and now its time to start a new win streak. Go Bears, Go!

3. Last Friday, we had Race Night at the Bear Cage in the famous (or infamous after Friday night) Stephenson room. Using a grid to simulate a race track, player nicknames with bios full of low blows as horses, and two big foam dice to represent which horse moves and how many spaces the, everyone in attendance was hoping to spend most of their time sipping champagne in the winners lounge. At the end of the night, winners and losers alike all seemed satisfied. I don't know whether that was the alcohol consumption or the merry spirit of Da Bears, but it didn't matter. Rach and I left up a hundred or so dollars and had a great time.

4. We did not bounce back to go to the real races like some other Bears, no names mentioned, Clint and Timmy Free, Gabbo, and Spooner. We did however go check out the Perth Heat V. Adelaide Bite game at Barbagallo ballpark, which was a good game and fun affair.

5. I am still scared of sharks.

6. I have been working a lot.

7. Rach and I just booked tickets for a 3 week trip to Indonesia (Bali), Thailand, and Malaysia through Christmas and the holidays... I pretty much can't wait for that.

8. Probably also gonna pick up some U2 and Jay-Z concert tickets...

9. Is the best number.

10. Happy Turkey Day to everyone.

11. Finished two of my 3 grad school apps today...

12. Running out of time...

13. skipping it like a hotel building

14. Skipping out of here for a Thai dinner

Peace and Love,

Ethan

1 comment: