Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Thursday, November 4, 2010

And the game ends in a... Tie?

I feel like I have seen this scenario before... great baseball game involving USA All-Stars (okay, maybe I shouldn't group the Perth USA team with the actual All-Stars, but hey...), down to the wire, a late comeback... and then... it ends in a tie. What the!?!??

That is pretty much how it went down last night in our game against the Perth Heat. Great game... 0-0 going into the late innings. We appear to have scored the go-ahead run on a great slide by Zack McMillan, but he is called out on what appeared to be a bad call. So what does Zack do? Keeps having a day, gunning a guy down at the plate with a perfect throw from right to keep us down by only 1 going into the 9th. Then, with two outs, two strikes and the tying run at 2nd, he fouled off 5 pitches before lacing one into left and tying the game up. A great all round performance by him and by our team. The staff did great, but never got the chance to finish off the comeback. The game was called because a lack of pitching from their side, something I find a little hard to believe seeing as that we still have two more games to play in the next two days. In the end, they are exhibition games to get the Heat ready for their season, but it just doesn't feel right to end a baseball game in a tie, much less a game as sharp as that one. What can you do.


In other news, I am finally gainfully employed and we appear to have found an apartment to rent.

A Baker Boy is Born:
A few weeks ago I saw a sign in a bakery window down the street from where we are staying indicating that they were looking for part timers with experience. Like most jobs I have looked into here, my lack of restaurant experience killed my chances for a job. This week, I went to check back up on it and noticed that the sign now had the experienced part crossed off... Alllll Riiiight! I popped in to have a chat with the manager, the next day I had a trial, and after the trial, which was basically a 30 minute crash course on the million different hot pockets, pastries, breads, and sandwiches, they threw me into the fire to deal with orders. To say it wasn't a little rough would be a lie, but mainly I just hate feeling like I am getting in the way of the other employees. Hopefully with a few more shifts I will be handling things no problem, and can actually be more of a help than a nuisance. Regardless, I got a job which I needed. The better part is that the shifts run from 6-1, leaving me beach time in the afternoon. Yeah buddy!

Rachel and I also found a good deal on an apartment to rent for a few months in a good central location. Still waiting on details, but looks like we will be moving in within a week. Only downside to this is that I may have to cut back on the internet time, as the apartment uses 3G, making it harder to stay in touch with you all. Anyways, the Heat series continues tonight if anyone wants to listen in the middle of the night... I'll leave you with a picture of the beach, which I plan on frequenting when at all possible, and the best looking girl on it. Unitl next time, peace

P.S. Welcome back Big Papi

No comments:

Post a Comment