Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Friday, October 29, 2010

Quick Rundown

Team USA Series:

I have spent the last two nights playing with Team USA against the Perth Heat. It is a pretty cool set up and compared to the level of teams I have been playing against lately, very good competition. Actually, regardless of who I have been playing lately, it is really good competition.

Our roster is littered with pro players mainly from the US but also Canada and Sweden. Guys on our team have played all over, a lot in Indy ball, others in the minors, some up to AAA. Their squad is also mainly pro players, mainly Australian born (I think) guys who are currently or have been in the minors. For example, their starting catcher is the everyday AAA catcher for the twins.

Here are the links to their website and the write up for us:
http://www.perthheat.baseball.com.au/
http://www.waprovincialleague.baseball.com.au/default.asp?Page=70218

If you guys are up at crazy hours, you can listen to tonight's game online and we have another 3 game set next thurs-sat that will also be broadcast. You can find it on the Perth Heat website link above.

Game one on Thursday was much more exciting than last night, but we dropped a close one 9-7 after going back and forth with the lead for a few innings. I threw a scoreless inning, getting the first two guys, then giving up a single and walk, before getting their catcher to fly out to deep center. It felt good to get out there and while I didn't pitch great, it was good enough to keep us within 2 heading into our final AB.

Yesterday's game was much less exciting. We played sloppy baseball, making several errors to quickly erase our 1-0 first inning lead. They took the game 6-1. I got a pinch-hit opportunity to lead off the 9th, and got blown away. After one of the guys on my team told me the pitcher can be wild sometimes, he painted the outside black twice and I was quickly down 0-2. After a slider in the dirt, I was sent back to the pine with a swinging K. Ugly AB that made me appreciate the professional PHs all the more. Not sure if I will see any action in tonight's game, but I am on the hill for the Bears in an important game against UWA in tomorrow's provincial league action.

You can find links to Australian websites that write about the league I am playing in and the TEAM USA stuff in this post and on the side bar of the blog.

Other than baseball, I have been running to stay in shape, looking for jobs, learning to drive (more successfully), and beach bumming around. It's funny how sometimes it feels like you have less time to do things when you have nothing going on.

I think I was hit with a bit of culture shock the last two weeks or so, having made the quick transition from Belgium to the States and then down here. Even though things here are similar to the US in some respects, they are much different as well. Despite the common language (although dialects can be hard to understand and I haven't gotten a grasp on the numerous sayings and slang),I have felt a bit out of place and stressed out, which is not really typical for me. Things are slowly working their way to normal though, and I am starting to be able to enjoy everything Perth has to offer. The beaches here are amazing and the water a crystal blue that reminds me of Croatia. Looking forward for the temp/water to heat up so I can get out there a bit more.

Anyways, if there is anything you guys want to hear about shoot me an email or just post a comment. It always helps me to write more frequently when I get comments or feedback, and know people are reading. So if you want to hear more (or less haha) blow up the comments section.

A big happy birthday to my Uncle Jon, Cuz Rowan, and bro Tristan! Hope everyone had good ones!

Until next time,

Peace

2 comments: