I have spent the last week or so getting used to being down here and getting over jet lag and now that the dust has settled, I can fill in what has been going down with a little more detail.
First and foremost... Baseball.
Today we battled Curtin in my first home game for the Bears. After going down by one in the top half of the first, we took the lead for good in the bottom of the frame. We capitalized on errors and continued to hit the ball hard this week. I don't think we had any strikeouts as a team and under pressure, their defense cracked. We finished them up in 7 for a 14-4 win behind a strong pitching performance from Gabbo.
While down here, I will be playing for two teams... my main team is the Balcatta Bears. We play in the provincial league of Western Australia, second in level to the State league, from what I understand. The other team I am playing for is a Team USA, a team comprised of all the import players from the provincial league and state league. We had a practice for Team USA on Friday and start competition with a three game series against the Perth Heat this coming Thursday-Saturday. The Heat are the pro team for Western Australia. The games promise to be a lot of fun and good competition. In talking with a few guys on the team, one grew up playing with my roommate from college, big Willie and another has a good family friend playing at either Carleton or St. Olaf (he couldn't remember). Small world.
The main baseball thing to get adjusted to here is playing with metal bats in the provincial league. Although we have yet to play the top teams in the league since I have arrived, the difference between playing with metal and playing with wood has blown me away. I have made the transition from metal to wood and vice-versa in the states, but playing with metal here has been kind of scary. There are a lot of big, strong dudes playing ball out here and the ball jumps off metal bats at insane rates. As a pitcher it will be a constant challenge to keep the ball down and keep the ball in the yard. In that sense, I look forward to playing with metal and hope I can avoid screaming come-backers. On the offensive standpoint, hitting with metal should definitely help. Unfortunately I know I will still have WTP...
Driving...
Pretty soon I will be getting a car from the team to get around Perth with. I took our player/coach's car out for my first try at driving on the left (wrong) side of the road. What resulted was a MAJOR FAIL. Me and one of the young guys went on a mission to pick up drinks for everyone else. I had the poor kid scared for his life... turns out he had good reason. I was so focused on staying on the left side of the road that I stayed a little too far left and smashed the left mirror. Luckily the mirror was already broken and there was no other damage caused, other than to the underwear of the kid I went with when he soiled them. He decided it would be better for him to take over driving and feeling my confidence waning, I forked over the keys. It was only after we were already back on the road that he told me he didn't have his license yet and only had his learners permit. Not sure the legality of the whole situation, but the bottom line is that we survived and managed to get drink orders right. Yes, I am an idiot.
Work...
For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to drop off an application at a surf shop at a mall. I was offered a trial run, which I felt went pretty well. They wanted me to be more outgoing and energetic. They offered me a second trial. I said thanks but no thanks, opting for different work. I guess I just don't have the energy or qualifications needed to sell bordies, singlets, and rashies... Carleton you have failed me haha.
Night Scene...
After practice with Team USA on Friday night, me and some of the other guys went out for a night on the town. We went to Northridge and Mustang Bar for a few drinks. I didn't stay out ridiculously late or showcase any of my Belgian dance moves, but it was a nice first taste of the night scene out here. Aside from the fact that a pint cost $8.80... the night scene here promises to be a good one. Looking forward to more good times to come.
Also, discovered Kebab places here... so I will definitely not starve. Although I doubt they will give Belkan a run for the KOTY. Time will tell.
That is it for now... so far Perth has been good to us and promises to be a lot of fun... With 4 games this week, should be plenty to write about... if I can survive learning to drive and come-backers whistling by my head. Until next time... Peace.
Recent News
Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment