To say that the last week had its fair share of ups and downs would be a gross understatement.
On Tuesday, I woke up and got ready to go to Hugo's and then the field, where Reid and I were to learn how to use the beast of a lawn mower that Hans, our grounds crew man, uses to mow the field. I wasn't sure whether or not I should wake Reid, because he had just gotten back from London where he was visiting some family, or so I though. I noticed the door to Reid's room was open, so I knocked and called out. After getting no response after the second time, I poked my head in.
As it would turn out, Reid had decided to go back to the States. He had mentioned to me that he in all likelihood would not be staying the whole season, but I definitely hadn't imagined such a sudden departure.
This unexpected event has changed my season (and the team's season) in several ways...
1. Being the lone American, I now have to give the baseball clinics to the schools alone. With the teachers essentially taking these "initiations" as a unscheduled holidays, try to picture me speaking in English and broken Dutch trying to control 40 9 year-olds who not only act like, but literally are seeing the sun for the first time in weeks. Stressful? Check. Draining? Check. Try that for three days straight, all day and you have my life the next three days.
2. For the first time all season, our team seemed to gel over the adversity. We came together on Saturday, played like a team, had fun, and won 11-2.
3. Our team is looking for a new player and I think I know the right guy for the role... Scott Heinig, hopefully he agrees.
4. I will shoulder the mowing the grass, umpiring, running youth practices/clinics... alone.
I guess the list could go on, but the bottom line is things are a little bit different here... Maybe I will add more later (i'm getting tired).
Anyways, on Saturday our club reached what I would call a season high. Most of the mental and physical errors that have plagued us all season disappeared and we played good inspired baseball for 9 solid innings. We worked the process, played focused, executed our plays, had fun and the results followed. We snapped our losing skid and won 11-2. It was also a personal high on the season for me, collecting 4 hits, 3 runs, a rbi and pitching a CG while allowing 1 ER in my 9 innings of work.
I was filled with optimism and while not overlooking our next game, was already trying to figure out what it would take to get back in the race for the top 4 and a playoff spot. Things were still looking up early in the game on Sunday as we went for the sweep. We were up 2-0 in the top of the 1st with bases loaded and one out, but a mental lapse on a line drive to the second baseman ended killing our inning in an easy double play and it went down hill from there. We made too many mental mistakes and ended up handing them about 7 of the 10 runs that they scored in a 10-4 loss.
While it was tough to go from being very optimistic to getting a little bit of a reality check, by no means was this weekend a loss for us. We showed what we all know, that we can play with teams if we play our game. We took steps in the right direction in almost all aspects of the game including the win column and I'm confident that we will continue to do so.
On a personal level, the weekend was kind to me. I caught a few breaks and ended up going 6 for 9 with a hbp, 5 runs, a double, a triple and an rbi.
I apologize that I lost steam at the end of the post here but I got a little distracted and tired. The kids will be ready to eat me alive at 815 tomorrow morning so I have to show up with my game face. Stay tuned for more. Up next, planning a 1 month euro trip with Rachel, Bart and maybe a few more... Should be fun.
Recent News
Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow - nice weekend, keep working hard.
ReplyDelete