Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Friday, May 7, 2010

Bye Week Travels






Having a bye week this weekend hasn't translated into having a lot of downtime this week. Part of that is because Reid and I have done 4 "initiations" this week, where we go into schools and teach kids ranging anywhere from 6-19 how to play baseball. While this may seem like cake, add in the language barrier, dodging (or, unfortunately, not dodging) metal bats flying through the air, and starting from zero understanding of baseball and it can make the days feel very long. The other half of the time I have spent visiting cities in Belgium. On Monday, Rachel and I went into Brussels and walked around for a few hours, on Tuesday we had another wild night in Leuven with Bart, and yesterday we went to Gent.

To my delight and the dismay of Rach-Dogg's stomach, Leuven gave us more of the same. Chalk that up as the second 6 A.M.er. The dance moves were on display, and Rach-Dogg must have been in heaven dancing between such two studs. We took the train back to Opwijk the next (or same... depending on your frame of reerence) day after walking around a bit and grabbing a broodje and gelato.

Yesterday we went to another fine college town, Gent. Gent has grown on me with each visit, this being the second time I have spent extended time there. It is a college city buzzing with young people and things to do. The fact that there is a Kebab every other store doesn't hurt either. If I spend enough time there I may end up like Gaudi and get hit by a cable car/tram, which cruise the streets in San Francisco-like fashion. Using my keen memory and seeing-eye-dog sense of direction we found our way from the train station to Gent's historical center by foot. In the center, we wandered along the water way, passing beautiful buildings, churches, and appetizing shops, restaurants and cafes. After spending a few hours walking and looking at the historical landmarks, Rachel tricked me into going to a vegetarian restaurant to grab some dinner. After eating, we then met up with my teammate Tom and his friend Sanne (who was very fun and nice) for some friendly bowling, billiards and drinks. We also made Sanne talk in a British accent, which she has to use at school in order to become a teacher.

On the way back we almost missed our connection back to Opwijk (giving me a momentary panic attack because it was the last train). This would have been the second time I would have had to call Bram and beg to have him come pick me up in Dendermonde late at night. But we made the train and my dignity was preserved.

I'm hoping to go hit some balls at the cage in a few, and then either driving or jumping on a bus to Paris for an overnight jaunt in one of my favorite European cities. Fun/good stories will ensue and you will be the first to hear about them next time. Above are a few random pics from Gent and Leuven... Bart and I breaking it down, Leuven at 6 am, scenic historic Gent. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment