With an off day on Monday, Reid and I headed to Brussels for the first time, where we met up with Mike Neff, an American playing for the Brussels Kangaroos of the 2nd division. Fun ensued, take a look...

My first Belgian waffle in Belgium. Strawberries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar topped with melted chocolate. It didn't disappoint.

Grand Plaza (Grote Markt) in central Brussels. One of the beautiful buildings surrounding the square.

Me with the signature tourist/chump status double peace sign in front of Manneken Pis. An 18" statue of a boy peeing that tourists flock to. We figured why not join the party.

A chocolate replica of Manneken Pis, only about twice the size of the actual statue. Gotta love that Belgian chocolate.

Janneken Pis, the sister statue of Manneken Pis. Conveniently located next to Delirium (see below pictures for explanation).

Conveniently located in the same back alley as Janneken Pis was delirium. A must see for beer lovers and what I suspect to be mostly a tourist bar. It boasts the widest selection of beer available in the world, as the first page of its encyclopedia-esque beer menu suggests. With over 2,000 beers to choose from, why would you ever leave? We were happy to find the bar almost vacant. One of the few people we saw there was an American who had arrived only 2 hours prior. President of his beer club back home, the softwear technician for Bath and Bodyworks came to Belgium alone. His agenda consists of traveling around Belgium for a week, following a trail of breweries and bars. That is right, he came to Belgium... alone... for one week... to do nothing but drink. Maybe a little extreme, but I'm sure he will meet some fine friends along the way.

The walls of Delirium are covered in currency from all over the world, signed by the travelers who bring it. Missing from the college wall was Carleton, so I decided to let everyone who comes into Delirium know that no matter what the hour is, it will always be KnightTime.

The three of us left our mark. Amherst, Carleton, and Suffolk in the house. Behind, one of the most delicious beers I have ever had.

The bar tender, Julian, poses with our fine assortment of beers. In the middle right, La Guillotine... so good it is to die for.
HAHAHAAH. One of the longest conversations I had in French was on a train to Paris from Brussels. I was talking to this guy about our time in Brussels, and he was trying to ask me if we saw Manneken Pis, but with my broken understanding of French I thought he kept saying he had to piss. It was pretty much like that scene from Big Daddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbUCI9bEvA .
ReplyDeleteYOU DA MAN ETHAN!!!! uHoHkNiGhTtImEbAby!!!
I mean Joe Dirt (I got confused b/c of that guys appearance in Waterboy).
ReplyDelete