Ok... this really needs to be quick, but I wanted to write a quick little note about highlights/lowlights from the last few days and the like (shout out to Nader Saeidi)...
1. Reid and I have had a hellish schedule of coaching a youth camp this week... Tuesday-Friday we were at the field anywhere from 9-12 hours, coaching the youngsters in the mornings and the older kids in the afternoons. If you want to put your patience to the test, I would suggest doing the same thing we did this week. I will elaborate more later. I really shouldn't be bitching about it because it certainly beats doing any other job and there were definitely some good times, but it did make for a long/tiring day. More to follow, including a 11-year old's meltdown that would be guaranteed to get a million hits on youtube... as a teaser I will tell you that it included a double middle finger and two F-bombs directed at a coach and some minor physical assaults...
2. Tonight is the eve of Opening Day here in Belgium, and we play Namur tomorrow for our first game. Namur is a team I easily could be playing for, as they were one of the teams on my short list of possible places to play this year. It was nothing they did wrong or didn't have, it just worked better personally and for Rachel for me to come play for Merchtem, and I have yet to be disappointed with my decision. I guess I should be feeling like I have to prove that I made the right choice tomorrow, but I am surprisingly calm about tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about the game, but I'm trying to keep the Taoist attitude that helped me and the team be successful last year... Less can be more and don't try to do too much. Regardless, I hope we take two from them this weekend and confident that we will. Confidence is a funny thing and there is no better time than opening day to talk about it. One of the things I love about opening day is the optimism that always comes at the beginning of the season. No matter how good or bad your team is, it is always "your year" and you are filled with positive thoughts. Hopefully after this weekend I still feel like it is our year.
3. Had a delicious BBQ tonight. Lamb, hamburgers, chicken, ribs... hard to beat.
4. Bets are huge on our team. Before the season every player makes a bet on a beer coaster and it gets put up in the clubhouse. The bet is only valid if on the beer coaster, which has a special name that I will find out and replace the last 2 sentences with. I couldn't think of anything good, so they put me down for hitting above .350. Reid said he would make 0 errors in the field this year. If you have any good suggestions, let me know... right now mine is weak and should be replaced. Speaking of bets, I am going to bet a crate of beer (bets are always, at least I think always, on pintjes (beers) or crates of beer) that the US wins the World Cup... I think we know how that will turn up.
5. This is getting too long again.... more later.
Starting at 3B tomorrow, hitting second and pitching in relief... i'll let you know how it goes.
I will end with a quote from a professor (from last year when I told him I would not make class due to a game)... "With deep breath and effortless efforts, you will win the game."-Qiguang Zhao
Great advice and my plan for tomorrow.
Recent News
Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment