Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Here's to as good a person and friend as you can get



Scott Heinig 6/4/88-4/17/11




My first memories of Scott Heinig stem back to little league. Although we played in opposite divisions, I kept close tabs on worthy opponents in both leagues, knowing that there would be a good chance we would play for the City Championship. As fate would have it, we ended up squaring off against Scott's team, the dreaded and much despised Yankees.
The game was a nail-biter and in the end, the Cubbies swallowed a difficult 1-0 loss. It was at this stage that I decided that if you can't beat a team with Scott, you might as well join him... so that is exactly what I did.

We joined forces for the first time on the Davis Diamondbacks and man did we have a good time. Renting "movies" in West Covina, going to hooters in Palm Springs, taking trips to play around California, and learning how to play baseball the right way. It was on the Diamondbacks where I really got to know Scott and that infectious personality of his. This was a special guy... always walking around with that goofy smile, poised, sharp as a tack, accepting of everyone, and the list goes on. It didn't take long being around Scotty that I forgot that he was a 2 years my junior and a year behind me in school.

For the next 6 years, I played on teams with Scott, spent countless hours with him off the field, and grew to love him more and more as time went on. There are so many good things you could say about Scott, but what keeps coming back to me as I think back on all those great times we shared was how much Scotty cared about everyone and how good of a friend he was. When I went off to college in Minnesota, I tried to convince Scott to follow me out there. I told him we would turn the program around and start a dynasty. When he didn't join we in the Midwest, it was hard to fault the guy. He had a plan, and he no matter where he went or what he did, he was going to be damn good at it. As he went on to dominate at Cosumnes and earn himself a D1 scholarship, I still tried to find ways to get a Dynasty going with Scott.

Just this last year when I was playing in Belgium and our other American went back home, the club turned to me to find a replacement player. Scott was the first person in my mind and I quickly started my attempts to recruit him. We will build up the club and start a dynasty I told him. We will turn the ship around. After weighing his options, Scott decided instead to go back to Humboldt to play for the Crabs. He couldn't come out if he had any doubts and if he wasn't fully committed. And how could he leave his beautiful girlfriend behind? While I was disappointed that he didn't come out, his reasons were unselfish... he wanted what was best for the team, what was best for his relationship. He knew how to give it nothing but his all. My second attempt at starting a dynasty with Scotty had failed, but I had bigger plans, I would get him when it mattered most, when we could do the most good. I hadn't told him this yet, but my 3rd attempt to start a dynasty was already in the works. Scott and I would run our own program, not as players, but as college coaches. Surely, this would be an opportunity that he couldn't pass up. With Scotty on board, any college program was destined for success.

I will never get a 3rd chance to recruit Scotty or to make my final pitch, but one thing will happen that not even he can refuse. When I do get a chance to run my own program, he will have as profound an impact on it as anyone. He will be there pushing me and pushing the players to be their best. He may be gone, but he continues to positively effect those who were fortunate enough to meet him and even those that weren't. As word spreads that Scott's heart has saved someone's life, I am not the least bit surprised. Even though he is gone he still continues to make a difference in the lives of others. Only you could find a way to be bigger than life.

I want to be a better person because of you, Scott. You are sorely missed but will never be forgotten. Love you more than words can say.


I will never forget the good times spent with you...

Playing Cards, Luncheons at Martin's, sleepovers at Tyler's, playing pick, winning games, competing, Mr. O'Keefe's Calculus class, a man in a white hat, your endless smile, your quoting of Super Troopers, Little League, Diamondbacks, Jr. Legion, Post 77, BDP, parties in the country, singing along to good music, your franchise hug, your loyalty, your devastating slider and tiny steps when you run, Marcus' back room, working out at DAC, NFW pizza orders, trips to hooters as 13-year-olds, "how great is life today?", honorary class member of 2005, chump status, 2004 Section Champs, the Boss Hog, physics, the green dragon, the Giants, all the lives you touched and continue to touch, your family, Lauren, financial advising, Davis Graduates softball games, rides to games in Larry's car, fantasy sports, talking about baseball and pitching, making adjustments, mental toughness, and the best friend anyone could have.

Love you #20, RIP

1 comment:

  1. I have GOT to see if I can find the picture of us all at Hooters!

    ReplyDelete