Perth, Australia
After four years of playing for Carleton College and one season with the Merchtem Cats, I will trade in the maize and blue of the Knights and red and black of the Cats for the green and gold of the Balcatta Bears, one of 7 teams in the Western Austrlia Provincial League. With 6 months of baseball ahead, there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Recent News

Saturday 10/24: Bears beat Curtin 14-4 for another win

Thursday, January 13, 2011

SE Asia Trip Recap


Similan Islands, Thailand

For those of you who don't have time to sit online all day but still want to follow along with what has been going on down here, this recap will hit on the highlights of the trip, where we went, nuts and bolts, etc. For those of you, and I quote the Big Lebowski, who aren't into the whole brevity thing, you can catch the full day recounts that will be coming. Hope you enjoy, we sure did.

The trip:

Flight to Bali from Perth--> Van to Ubud, Bali (stayed 3 nights)--> Taxi to Bingin Beach, Bali with new friends from Netherlands (Stayed one night)--> Taxi to Legian, Bali with Dutchies (Stayed one night)--> Bus to Padang Bai, Bali (stayed 2 nights)--> Taxi to Airport, flight to Chiang Mai, Thailand after layover in Bangkok (stayed 3 nights)--> Train to one of ancient capitals, Ayutthaya, Thailand (stayed 2 nights)--> minibus to Kanchanaburi, Thailand (stayed one night for New Years Eve)--> minibus to Bangkok (stayed one night)--> Night bus (with ladyboy attendant) to Takua Pa--> Taxi to ferry terminal--> Ferry to Koh Kho Khao Island, Thailand (Stayed 3 nights)--> Day trip by speed boat to Similan Islands, Thailand)--> Bus to Krabi (Stayed 2 nights)--> Day trip to Ko Phi Phi Islands, Thailand--> Van to car to minibus to van to Sanur--> Ferry to Langkawi, Malaysia--> Taxi with new British/American friends to Pantai Cenang, Langkawi, Malaysia (stay one night)--> Ferry to Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia (stay two nights)--> Bus to Kuala Lumpur (stay one night)--> Flight to Singapore (walked around for the day)--> Flight back to Perth.

We laughed, we cried (out of laughter), we ate, we slept, and most of all, we had one hell of a trip. Our trip was nothing short of amazing and the places like no place I have ever been before. The colors, smells, transportation, food, cultures, customs, beauty and sad aspects of SE Asia are something I would recommend to anyone. How can I even begin to describe the warmth of most of the people we encountered, the delicious taste of the street food, and the insane ways from getting from point A to B? I found myself again and again writing on my little notepad how lucky I was and how amazing this was or that was. It seems like everything is possible in SE Asia and although it may be a little crazy, you see and do things that you normally wouldn't (like get in a cage with a tiger that could eliminate you with one swipe or ride on a motorcycle taxi holding on for dear life and wishing you had a helmet as the driver breaks every traffic law known in the Western world). One minute we were on a pimped out night bus with tv, reclining chairs, seat pressure controls and stops for free food and then next we are jammed in the back of a songthaew with a bunch of locals, sweating and bouncing around (see 1st pic below). One minute you are eating gourmet food from a great restaurant and the next you are eating from a food stand that doubles over as a mode of transport (see below). Bali, Thailand, and Malaysia indulged all our senses and for 3.5 weeks we dove in head first, exploring the ins and outs of these amazing places. Below find some of the highlights, lowlights, and a lot in between.




Trip Top Ten Events:
Top Event: Seeing Jill Nevins randomly while in a cage with a large, deadly tiger and going out for dinner, drinks with her and partner Keith... always wanted that to happen!


1. Snorkeling with sea turtles in the Similan Islands and Phi Phi Islands (Thailand)

2. Sunday Night Market in Chiang Mai

3. Playing with Tigers and ridding elephants, Chiang Mai


4. Surfing at Bingin Beach, Bali
5. Getting attacked by monkeys in Ubud, Bali

6. Bartering with taxi driver in Kanchanaburi, who kept making sex noises (uuh, uuum, yeah, niiice) while trying to convince us to go with him. We laughed 'til we cried, and could do nothing but accept his price.
7. The Grand Palace and temples, Bangkok
8. Eating exotic foods (fried cricket)
9. Ruins of the Ancient capitals of Thailand and the Death Railway
10. Smashing around on a scooter on Koh Kho Khao Island

Not so Top 5 Events:
1. Food Poisoning
2. Traveler's Diarrhea/Constipation
3. Choosing to go to Ayutthaya
4. Cockroach train ride
5. Mouth catching fire from delicious looking (but not so fun to eat) street food

5 Best Places:
1. Phi Phi Islands (especially Leh)



2. Similan Islands
3. Koh Kho Khao Island




4. Chiang Mai
5. Padang Bai

I can't believe...
1. I went in a cage with a tiger
2. I got bit by a wild (and sacred) monkey
3. I rode on the back of that motorcycle, wearing a backpacking backpack, without a helmet
4. I survived a ride on bus 40 in Bangkok, taking bumps and bridges at 80 km/hr, letting people off while still moving, even the locals looking at each other like "oh my God, are we going to survive this!"
5. I only paid 5 dollars for an hour long massage, 50 cents for the best smoothie ever, 3.50 for that room last night, ate like a king for 3 dollars!
6. I just saw a sign that read "All you can eat buffet... 265 for Men, 255 for Ladyboys, 245 for women"




Several of the interesting/funny signs along the way

7. Those kids are actually shooting big fireworks at each other
8. I just went to bathroom into a hole
9. how good the food is!!!!!
10. I just ate that fried cricket!

This is just a small sample of what is to come, tune in for more details, stories, and pictures.





Do yourself a favor, and go travel SE Asia as soon as possible!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! So strange seeing that picture of you and Jill! What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete