We woke up late after the late night.
Headed to Belem by bus. Visited a Pop Art Museum. Went to Casa de Pasties Belem, famous for its egg tart pastries, which didn't disappoint. In fact, they were so good that they went back the next morning before heading south. We took a bus to the old center, close to Barro Alto where we were the day before. We took a long walk to the castle up on a hill, stopping a few places for really nice views.
Once at the top of the hill, we waited for the famous number 28 cable car, which is likened to a roller coaster, to take us down. Before getting on the wild ride, we were warned at the cable car stop by a lady that there were pick pockets in the area. On high alert, the crowded cable car turned into even more of an adventure.
Two of the people who were sitting together with us at the stop, a woman wearing sunglasses, a scarf and sporting what I would call a poorly done rose tattoo on her forearm, and a guy nicely dressed, split up once on the train. I was watching her as she got closer to me. Standing next to me. Dropping her scarf on the floor. Nice distraction, NOT. Inching closer as the cable car bounced around. Reaching for my pocket with my wallet, which was buttoned shut anyways. Hand part way in my pocket. I look at her right in her face and put my hand over my pocket. Attempt thwarted!!! Assist to the lady who warned us. I warned everyone to watch their stuff carefully and then the two of them, working in cahoots got off at the next stop.
My first reaction was excited that I stopped her. Then I was a little annoyed with myself that I hadn't even said anything to her or done anything more. As I thought about it, I thought about all the things I could have done or should have said. Instead I was calm, didn't blow up or make a scene. I go back and forth about which would have been better. If I make a scene, then it creates a distraction for her partner to steal something else. If I say nothing, then she just goes about her business as usual, maybe getting someone else's wallet. Maybe no one would care if I had made a scene. Anyways, what do you guys think?
I tend to be calmer in these type of situations, which I guess can be a blessing or a curse. It was fun to think of possible and ridiculous things I could have done... karate kick to the chest, etc. With the pick pocket attempt behind me, I could enjoy the roller coaster ride. We were also joined by two guys riding for free on the outside of the cable car. With the narrow streets and hills, I can only imagine how wild of a ride it was for them. Again, pictures lost on lost cameras but a wild ride indeed.
The rest of the night included a dinner at a terrible Indian restaurant, me falling asleep at an old church turned brew house.... I am pretty sure I was drugged because I had one beer and felt like my world was ending... bus back to the campsite... another good night in Lisbon!
No comments:
Post a Comment